Monday, July 25, 2011

It is truly inspiring for me...

Emily "Milly" Wallace -

"I am 5 years and 7 months out since my accident and everyday is recovery. I had to lay down on my back for 3 months with only 1 hour of time allotted per day to eat, bath, sit up and physical therapy.

"My recovery was lots of walking, I worked up at Brighton and would lay down when my back hurt, I would go outside and make snowmen and that strengthened my back. Unfortunately I did not have insurance and with all the bills I couldn't afford physical therapy, the hospital kicked me out a week after my surgery because of that, luckily my mother took a month off of work to be my nurse. She had to help feed me, bathe me, brush my hair and teeth, dress me, give me my meds on a schedule and help me with my physical therapy.

"Once I was strong enough from walking and building snowmen I started snowshoeing, then 6 months after surgery I went snowboarding..that was so scary! I was told not to crash! Then I spent April, May, June and July at Snowbird and snowshoeing to get my strength back even more.

"Then that summer I went mountainboarding for my first time again. It took me 4 years to get to a point where I feel stronger than I did before my injury. I have been very lucky that physically I have been able to get back to all the same things I used to do and added more sports and experiences to my life since then, such as rock climbing, paragliding, snowkiting, backpacking, and kayaking.

"It is a long road...but it is life changing and humbling. Savoring every experience and every accomplishment means so much to me. Each person is given different situations and challenges in life and each person chooses how they will handle that. I am just so glad that through my experiences that I had been able to meet and make great friends and helped them through their recovery.

"It makes me so happy to see Gates' positive attitude, you can see him working hard and pushing through so much to achieve goals. It is truly inspiring for me. I will keep watching the blog for the next event so I can come meet Gates! Stay strong!"

1 comment:

  1. I heard about Gates from a FB friend. He is truly inspiring. Have you heard about Neuroworx in Sandy UT? My son, who is 15 goes there. They specialize in spinal cord injuries and have the best technology of anywhere! It was started by Dr Dale Hull after he became paralyzed from an accident. It's an inspiring place to be. We recently met a patient who came from South Africa just to do therapy there. I wish you and your family all the best. It's a tough road but you'll make it!

    ReplyDelete